What are the options for student accommodation in the UK?

No Image

In the UK, there are several options for student accommodation, ranging from on-campus housing to private rentals. The availability and type of accommodation can vary depending on the university or college you attend. Here are some common options:

University Halls of Residence (On-Campus Housing):

Many universities and colleges offer on-campus accommodation, often referred to as halls of residence or dormitories. These are purpose-built student housing complexes located on or near the campus. They come in various forms, including single rooms, shared rooms, and apartments.

On-campus housing provides convenience, as you're close to academic buildings, libraries, and campus facilities. It's also a great way to meet other students.

Private Halls of Residence (Off-Campus, Privately Managed):

Private companies also operate student accommodation complexes, sometimes in partnership with universities. These private halls often offer modern facilities, including en-suite bathrooms and communal areas.

They can be a bit more expensive than university-owned halls but provide additional amenities and a more independent living experience.

Private Rentals (Off-Campus):

Many students choose to rent privately owned apartments, houses, or shared flats off-campus. This option offers greater independence and flexibility in terms of location and living arrangements.

You can rent a single room in a shared house or apartment, or you can share a rental with friends or fellow students.


Some students opt for homestays, where they live with a local host family. This option can provide a cultural immersion experience and a supportive environment, especially if you're new to the country.

Typically, homestay arrangements include a private room and meals with the host family.

Student Co-operatives:

Some cities in the UK have student co-operatives where students collectively manage their housing. These co-ops offer affordable accommodation with a strong sense of community.

Lodging with Residents (e.g., Landlords or Live-In Owners):

You may find opportunities to rent a room in a house or apartment where the owner or landlord also resides. This arrangement can be cost-effective and provide a more homey atmosphere.

Purpose-Built Student Accommodation (PBSA):

PBSA refers to accommodation specifically designed for students. These facilities often include a range of amenities such as common areas, study spaces, gyms, and more. They can be university-owned or privately managed.

Temporary Accommodation:

If you're arriving in the UK before your official move-in date or need a place to stay temporarily, you can consider booking short-term accommodation, such as hotels, hostels, or serviced apartments.

When choosing your accommodation, consider factors like location, budget, facilities, and your preference for living with others or independently. It's also a good idea to apply for accommodation as early as possible, as the demand for certain types of housing can be high, especially in popular university cities.

Contact your chosen university's accommodation services or student support team for guidance on the available options and the application process specific to your institution.